As the AJC and many media outlets have reported, Executive Chef Joe Truex is leaving Watershed after 4 years to help develop a pizza restaurant in the Mall of Dubai. I had an opportunity to work with Truex back in 2012 when Watershed was moving from Decatur to Peachtree and he quickly became one of my favorite Atlanta chefs with his magnetic personality and creative dishes.
A Louisiana native, Truex opened Repast in Atlanta in early 2006. It won Esquire’s “Best New Restaurant” later that year and was named “Atlanta’s Best Restaurant of 2009″ by Jezebel Magazine. The economic downturn forced its closure in 2010, but Truex had already moved on to Watershed to replace legendary chef, Scott Peacock.
Replacing a chef like Scott Peacock is almost impossible, but Truex was finally able to put his stamp on the menu when Watershed moved to Peachtree. Chef Joe Truex will certainly be missed, but I have a feeling we will see him back in an Atlanta kitchen (hopefully his own restaurant) at some point soon.
Photo Credit: Letter B Creative
Nearly 20 restaurants in Sandy Springs are coming together from November 8 to 16, 2014 to give patrons a taste of what they have to offer during Savor Sandy Springs Restaurant Week. The lunch and dinner prices vary depending on the restaurant, but most seem to offer a $15 prix fixe menu for lunch and $25 for dinner. Click HERE to see the menus for each restaurant.
Participating restaurants include:
• 5 Seasons Brewing
• The Brickery Grill & Bar
• Brooklyn Café
• Cibo e Beve
• Dantanna’s Tavern
• Double Zero Nepoletana
• Food 101
• Fuego Mundo
• Hammock’s Trading Company
• Hudson’s Grille
• J Christopher’s
• Nancy G’s Café & Neighborhood Bistro
• Nothing Bundt Cakes
• Rumi’s Kitchen
• Taziki’s Mediterranean Café
• Teela Taqueria
• That Pie Place
• Tin Can Fish House & Oyster Bar
For more information, visit www.visitsandysprings.org/restaurantweek/
The Pub Perimeter will officially open its doors at 11:00am on Monday, August 11th according to a press release issued by Tavern Restaurant Group.
The Pub offers a true British Pub experience complete with brilliant food, drink and genuine hospitality. The Pub Perimeter features a “Pour Your Own Beer Wall,” providing guests with the opportunity to pay by the ounce, pull their own pint and have a more interactive experience. The Perimeter location is the Tavern Restaurant Group’s twelfth Pub and replicates the other pub concepts currently operating in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Florida.
History of The Pub:
Conceived by Cincinnati based restaurateur Nick Sanders, The Pub concept was born out of his love for the classic British pub and the hospitality he has experienced in pubs throughout Great Britain. The food, beverage and atmosphere are inspired by each of the countries that make up Great Britain. Guests will feel transported and see influences from Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The Pub is best known for their signature Fish-n-Chips but guests can also nosh on shareable dishes, build their own burgers or savor some classic comfort food. An extensive beverage selection gives guests the opportunity to discover fine ales and lagers from the United Kingdom, Europe and the USA. The Pub Perimeter also features a top notch list of single malt scotch, bourbon, wine and specialty cocktails.
Beginning Monday, August 11th, The Pub will be open daily for lunch and dinner. The Pub is located at Perimeter Mall in the former Hudson Grille space. For more information, visit www.experiencethepub.com.
Photo Credit: The Pub Perimeter Facebook Page
CARDelish, an exclusive dining club membership, recently launched in Atlanta with over 100 restaurants signed up to offer discounts to its members. Instead of offering daily deals, CARDelish provides it members with discounts at select restaurants based on the price of the meal. Here is how I understand it:
- Spend $25 / Save 15%
- Spend $50 / Save 20%
- Spend $75 / Save 25%
- Spend $100 / Save 30%
In order to become a member and receive the discounts, CARDelish offers an annual membership for $49.95 which can be purchased here. Some of the restaurants featured on the website as of 7/9/2014 include:
- La Grotta Ristorante Italiano
- Salt Yard
- Ink & Elm
- No Mas Cantina
- Burger Fi
- Cafe Agora
- SeaBass Kitchen
- Hudson Grille
- Nancy G’s
For more information on CARDelish, check out their website here.
Dantanna’s Tavern, the third location in the chain of upscale sports restaurants, is now open in Sandy Springs at 6649 Roswell Road (Abernathy Square Shopping Center.) The menu offers fresh, locally-sourced fare, traditional Dantanna’s signature menu items as well as new items such as Duck BLT, Kim Chee Reuben Sandwich and the El Diablo Burger. The restaurant also serves over 60 craft beers including local brews such as SweetWater, Red Hare, Three Taverns, Eventide, Red Brick, Monday Night, Terrapin, and Wild Heaven.
We are very fortunate to have some incredible singer-songwriters here in Atlanta. While many of them play sold-out shows at Eddie’s Attic and Smith’s Olde Bar, you can occasionally find them playing free shows at other local bars, restaurants, and events around town. If you’re trying to decide where to meet friends for drinks and you see that these guys are playing…GO!
1. Scotty Cram
2. Patrick Scott
3. Davin McCoy
4. Kyle Seitz
5. Chris Cauley
6. James David Carter
Looking for something a little different this 4th of July? The Georgia Aquarium is hosting Red, White & Brew in the Georgia Aquarium’s Ocean Ballroom on July 4th from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. with unlimited beer sampling, live music from The Geeks, a full BBQ dinner buffet, and more. At the end of the night, attendees will head up to the top of the Parking Deck for the city’s best view of the Centennial Olympic Park’s firework show.
The event raises money for the Georgia Aquarium’s Sponsored Education Admissions program, teacher development and summer camps. Some of the local beer highlights include Eventide Brewery, BlueTarp Brewing Company, and Max Lager’s.
Tickets are on sale now for $55, or just $45 for members. Price of admission includes:
- Red White & Brew souvenir tasting glass
- Unlimited sampling of a huge variety of local and national brews
- Classic 4th of July BBQ and dessert provided by Wolfgang Puck Catering
- Live music from The Geeks
- City’s best view of the Centennial Olympic Park firework show
- Photo booth and Caricature drawings by Team Artboy
- *Discounted parking is available the day of the event for $5 for first 400 cars. Or take Uber and part of your fare is donated back to Georgia Aquarium! First time riders get $20 off!
- No one under 21 permitted at this event. (For families with children, we encourage you to participate in Red White & View)
- No pets
- No backpacks
- No designated driver tickets (taxis will be on hand)
- No outside food or beverages
For more information, click here.
Photo Credit: Georgia Aquarium
Old Vinings Inn is bringing back its popular SummerFeast promotion starting June 23 through mid-August. The restaurant is offering a complete meal for two – an appetizer, entrée, side dish and dessert – for $35, dine-in or carryout. Chef Don Diem will be changing the menu each week to include Southern classics such as pimento cheese spread; tomato caprese stacks; smoked, dry-rubbed baby back ribs with Chef Don’s BBQ sauce; whole beer can chicken; summer bean salad and fingerling potato salad.
A limited number of SummerFeast orders are available until the week’s supply is exhausted. The menu is posted each week on oldviningsinn.net and the restaurant’s Facebook page. To-go orders may be placed by calling 770-438-2282. Dinner is served Monday through Thursday from 5 to 9 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 5 to 10 p.m. Brunch is Saturday and Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Photo Credit: Old Vinings Inn
Fifth Group Restaurants in Atlanta is offering half priced dining cards from June 18 to June 20, 2014 at all of their locations including:
- The Original El Taco
- Alma Cocina
- La Tavola
- South City Kitchen Midtown
- South City Kitchen Vinings
Click here for details, rules, and to purchase your dining cards.
Put down your bagel and pick up a free doughnut today, June 6, for National Doughnut Day. Here are some National Doughnut Day specials around Atlanta:
1. Revolution Doughnuts - According to their Facebook Page, Revolution Doughnuts opened two years ago on National Doughnut Day. They are giving away a free mini birthday cake doughnut today to celebrate their anniversary and National Doughnut Day.
2. Krispy Kreme – Free Doughnut on June 6, 2014. No Purchase Necessary.
3. Dutch Monkey Doughnuts – Celebrate National Doughnut Day with a free Roadie (marble cake mini.) No purchase necessary. While supplies last.
4. Sublime Doughnuts – The king of doughnuts in Atlanta, Sublime Doughnuts, has teamed up with The Melting Pot to offer mini-glazed doughnuts at The Melting Pot’s four Atlanta area locations on National Doughnut Day only. Sublime is offering certificates for a free chocolate fondue at The Melting Pot.
5. Dunkin’ Donuts – Get a free doughnut on June 6 when you purchase any beverage.
6. STK – STK Atlanta is putting a different spin on National Doughnut Day. Get free STK signature Drunkin Donuts in the lounge between 6 and 7 p.m. on June 6. I’ll drink to that.
– Revolution Doughnuts FB Page
– Krispy Kreme website
– Dutch Monkey FB Page
– Dunkin’ Donuts FB Page